SeaNova.Org – between the hammer and the anvil 

2014-03-16

here we go…. my first attempt at spot welding.

Filed under: '66 Mustang — keith @ 17:09

First thing I did was built a spark damn out of cardboard to contain metal bit during clean up and sparks, etc. when welding the replacement sheet metal into place – taking care not to have things close enough to ignite! I made sure to liberally apply weld-through primer.
140309
Here we are after getting things welded in and the ugly, UGLY welds ground roughly flush. I applied more primer here to get into all the nooks and crannies of the exposed metal.
140310
Next I applied body filler to the welds, sanded that all “smooth-ish” and painted everything with Rustoleum.
140316
So – as with my boat building experience – given enough time and effort, most everything I do can be made to look “passable”…

2014-02-17

OK, let’s start on the engine bay

Filed under: '66 Mustang — keith @ 11:51

the Stang has the, rather typical, engine bay rot under the battery tray.

battery acid has eaten through many places int that leaving, a flimsy, paper-thin panel – here it is, after I removed it from the Stang.
140217_2
and here’s result on the engine bay after drilling out all of the spot welds. Now I’m committed…
140217_1
the remaining metal is in pretty good shape and cleaned up well. Here’s the view from the outside before I cleaned up things… pretty good overall, mostly surface rust.
140217_3

2013-11-29

look at it go!

Filed under: '66 Mustang — keith @ 18:43

here’s a snapshot of my brother – the “driving” force of the mechanical rebuilt – running the Stang up and down the lane… it gets his “squeal” of approaval…
131129
now we move onto a) attach the exhaust and b) fixed the rotten floors and engine compartment (under the battery)… perhaps not in that order.

Next Page »

Powered by WordPress